This page shows a brief extracts of the information researched and published in 2007 by Keith Brewer & Gerry Rance. Keith’s & Gerry’s history website can be viewed here.
StainesThe very first scout troop to be formed in Staines was the 1st Staines & Egham Hythe Troop in 1908.
The Staines and District Scout Association was formed about two years later on the 25th October 1910, at The Club Room, on the corner of Thorpe Road. The original name was The Staines and Egham Hythe Corps. Local newspaper records show that 54 Boy Scouts had been enrolled by the 19th November 1910 and that there was just the one troop – 1st Staines & Egham Hythe.
Ashford1st Ashford was registered as a “stand alone” cub pack on the 19th November 1923, and had its H.Q. in Woodthorpe Road, Ashford. It was later registered as a scout group on the 1st November 1928.
It was finally disbanded and amalgamated with 4th Ashford on the 18th May 1932.
The 4th Ashford scout group were formed in 1920 and registered on the 4th December 1920 by Harold Ansell, who also formed a Cub Pack called “The Grey Wolf Pack” in 1923.The original H.Q. was the Congregational School Room, Clarendon Road, Ashford.
StanwellThe only Scout Group in Stanwell village, 1st Stanwell was formed in 1908 by Mr. Charles Taylor, who was an A.S.M. of a Feltham Troop. It is not clear when the Group was registered. The Group was sponsored by St. Mary’s Church and started with 12 choir boys, who borrowed the money for uniforms from the vicar.
Mr. Taylor was also the church organist for many years. When he was married to Kate Raynor in 1910, the whole troop, in full uniform, formed a guard of honour. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor were still living in Stanwell in 1957. It seems likely that the group was closed at some stage during the Second World War and restarted either in the late 1940’s or early 1950’s.
In June 1910 the first meeting of the 1st Shepperton Troop took place with 25 Scouts registered under Scoutmaster Blakesley – a captain in the Church Army – assisted by Assistant Scout Masters Poulton and Alexander.
Information from the Middlesex Chronicle, Staines & Thameside edition, dated 6th August 1910, reads:
Scoutmaster H. Blakesley, of the first Shepperton Troop of Boy Scouts, has been awarded the silver cross for life-saving by Lieutenant-General Sir R. Baden-Powell, the Chief Scout. In June last Scoutmaster Blakesley rescued a lad who had got out of his depth and had sunk.
Charlton, Laleham & Sunbury
If you have information regarding the history of scouting in these areas we’d love to hear from you.
Under the local government reorganisation of 1972, the Urban District of Staines was combined with its neighbour Sunbury and Shepperton to form the Borough of Spelthorne in the County of Surrey.
Spelthorne was originally one of the “Hundreds” (divisions) of Anglo-Saxon England and was a much larger area than today’s borough. The name Spelthorne is literally translated as “Speech Thorn Tree” and denotes the place of assembly where speeches were made and business conducted.
It is worth a mention that, especially in the very early days, it was not uncommon for boys to belong to The Boys Brigade and a Scout Troop. The contribution of the Boys Brigade then and now should not be overlooked – Boys Brigade bands have led the annual Rememberance Day parades in Spelthorne for many years and continue to do so.
Staines District and Sunbury & Shepperton District were merged to form Spelthorne District on 1st April 2005.